BUS 230a Syllabus Winter 2020
Subject to revision
- This is an online course.
- Course site is stanny.moodle.school. If you are enrolled in the course, I will send you login information.
- I am solely responsible for this site
- If you have any questions about the site, please ask me
- Videos, notes, quizzes and other materials are posted on the site
- Videos are also posted here
- As you watch the videos you should work along and replicate the spreadsheets. You will use the spreadsheets in your quizzes.
- Exams will be proctored by computer video using Zoom.
- Textbook (optional)
- Financial Accounting for Undergraduates (3rd OR 4th edition)
- 3e. Nelson, Christensen and Ferris. ISBN: 978-1-61853-161-2. Cambridge Business Publishers.
- 4e. Wallace, Nelson and Christensen. ISBN: 978-1-61853-308-1. Cambridge Business Publishers.
- Spreadsheet Software (required)
- I recommend LibreOffice or MS Excel. LibreOffice is open source (free) and is compatible with Microsoft Excel.
||1: Financial Statements
||2: Accounting cycle I
||3: Accounting cycle II
||4: Accounting cycle III
||5: Sales Revenue, Receivables and Cash
||6: Cost of Sales Revenue and Inventory
||7: Property/Plant/Equipment and Intangibles
||9: Owners’ Equity
There are 1000 possible points in the course. Your grade will be determined by your total points:
Quizzes 600 points
- Questions will be short-answer, numerical and multiple-choice
- You can attempt each quiz twice and you will receive the highest grade scored
- You can ask me during online office hours whether your second attempt answers are correct before submitting your quiz
- Late quizzes will not be accepted. Please do not ask.
- There will be multiple versions of quizzes. You can work with others on the quizzes, but you must enter and understand the answers yourself. When you submit your answers you are acknowledging that you can explain your answers.
Exam 400 points
- The exams are open-book and open-note
- You should use the spreadsheets that you have created for the quizzes
- You must adhere to SSU’s Cheating and Plagiarism policy. Academic dishonesty (e.g., cheating, plagiarism, etc.) will not be tolerated and will result in a zero grade (i.e., no points) on the quiz or exam and, possibly, a failing grade in the course.
- Please be advised that the on-line software allows me to track every click you make on the course site. I know whether, when and where you attempt quizzes, access notes, etc.
- There are no opportunities for points not listed above. Please do not ask.
- Disability Services for Students (DSS)
- Academic Accommodation: If you are a student with a disability, and think you may need academic accommodations, please contact Disability Services for Students (DSS), located in Salazar Hall, Room 1049, Voice: (707) 664-2677, TTY/TDD: (707) 664-2958, as early as possible in order to avoid a delay in receiving accommodation services. Use of DSS services, including testing accommodations, requires prior authorization by DSS in compliance with university policies and procedures.
- Students may not record (audio or video) in this class except in accordance with ADA accommodations. Any recordings made in connection with a disability accommodation are for the student’s personal academic use only and may not be distributed in any manner to any other individual.