Syllabus Winter 2018: Financial Accounting (BUS 230A)
Subject to revision
- On-line on Sonoma State University’s Moodle site. If you are registered, you can access the course beginning Jan 3 at 8 AM through SSU.
- Videos, notes, quizzes and other materials are posted on the site.
- Videos are also posted here.
- As you watch the videos you should work along and replicate the spreadsheets. You will use the spreadsheets in your quizzes.
- Exams will be proctored by computer video using Zoom
- Textbook (Recommended)
- Financial Accounting, 9th Edition by Libby, Libby and Hodge. ISBN: 9781259222139. You do not need an access code.
- Spreadsheet Software
- I highly recommend LibreOffice, but you can use any spreadsheet program. I use LibreOffice in the videos. It is open source (free) and is compatible with Microsoft Excel. Any skills you learn in LibreOffice Calc will be transferable to Microsoft Office (Excel).
- Download LibreOffice here.
- Prepare basic financial statements using spreadsheet software
- Analyze public companies financial statements
- Discuss the usefulness and the limitations of financial statements
- Describe international/global, ethical, and legal issues in accounting
||Wed Jan 3 at 8 PM PST
||Chapters 1 and 2
|Accounting Cycle I
||Thurs Jan 4 at 8 PM PST
|Accounting Cycle II
||Fri Jan 5 at 8 PM PST
|Accounting Cycle III
||Mon Jan 8 at 8 PM PST
|Sales Revenue, Receivables and Cash
||Tue Jan 9 at 8 PM PST
|Cost of Goods Sold and Inventory
||Wed Jan 10 at 8 PM PST
|Property, Plant & Equipment and Intangibles
||Thu Jan 11 at 8 PM PST
|Liabilities and Bonds
||Fri Jan 12 at 8 PM PST
||Chapter 9 and 10
||Tue Jan 16 at 8 PM PST
||Wed Jan 17 2-3:40 PM PST or 6-7:40 PM PST
There are 1000 possible points in the course. Your grade will be
determined by your total points:
Quizzes 500 points
- Questions will be short-answer, numerical and multiple-choice.
- You can attempt each quiz twice and you will receive the highest grade scored.
- Late quizzes will not be accepted. Please do not ask.
- There will be multiple versions of quizzes. You can work with others on the quizzes, but you must enter and understand the answers yourself. When you submit your answers you are acknowledging that you can explain your answers.
Exam 500 points
- Exam is proctored by your computer video using Zoom. Make sure you have access to a PC or Mac that meets the requirements posted here. You will take the exam with your computer’s webcam on.
- On the exam day you will have the option to take the exam during one of two 100 minute slots 2-3:40 PM PST or 6-7:40 PM PST. Specify your time preference on Moodle.
- The exams are open-book and open-note. You should use the spreadsheets that you have created for the quizzes.
- You must adhere to SSU’s Cheating and Plagiarism policy. Academic dishonesty (e.g., cheating, plagiarism, etc.) will not be tolerated and will result in a zero grade (i.e., no points) on the quiz or exam and, possibly, a failing grade in the course.
- Please be advised that the on-line software allows me to track every click you make on the course site. I know whether, when and where you attempt quizzes, access notes, etc.
- There are no opportunities to earn extra credit. Please do not ask.